You’d be lying if you never took a elbow jumper or a baseline fadeaway and yelled “Kobe!” as the ball was in mid air. This guy has not only been a huge inspiration in my life but for so many others as well.
Imagine if the Los Angeles Lakers didn’t trade for Kobe Bryant on draft night back in 1996. This world would be a totally different place. Tonight marks the night that Kobe Bryant hangs up his ball kicks and retires from the NBA.
The 17 year young, Kobe Bryant, was selected 13th overall out of Lower Merion high school in the 1996 NBA draft by the Charlotte Hornets. Lakers’ General Manager, “Mr. NBA”, immediately traded Vlade Divac for Kobe after he was selected.
Kobe was able to achieve so much during his professional basketball career. The statics are there, the rings are there, the gold medals are there.
It’s the unforgettable moments that we all watched in the late 90’s and straight through the 2000’s that will last forever in our minds and in our hearts.
- The 81 point game against the Raptors
- The fist pump after the game winner vs Suns in game 4 of the NBA Playoffs in 2006 followed by that vicious jersey grab to show off his compression shirt.. lol
- The Dwight Howard baptism dunk
- The under the leg to win the dunk contest in 1997
- The Kobe afro
- The number change from 8 to 24
- Matt Barnes beef
- Shaq beef
- Dropping 61 in the Garden (when Kobe pulled that move on Wilson Chandler, OMG!)
- USA vs Spain for Gold in the 2008 Olympics
- Nike deal – “Black Mamba”
I could be here all day.
Let’s all tune in tonight as Kobe takes the floor one last time. He’ll be facing the Utah Jazz in his last game. Although this game is very important to the Lakers fans, the Utah Jazz are fighting for the 8th seed in the playoffs so this game should be a competitive one.
There is a bit of controversy that has brewed. The Golden State Warriors can break the 95-96 Chicago bulls record of 72-10 on the same night of Kobe’s last game. The Warriors game will be showed on ESPN, while the Lakers game will be televised on ESPN2.
If she doesn’t want to watch Kobe’s last game with you.. She’s too young for you, bro.
As for I, I will keep my box of Kleenex close by.
Thank you for all you’ve done for the game of basketball Kobe!